International Students

International students experiencing financial difficulty are encouraged to explore all the resources and services listed below and elsewhere in this guide. If a potential employer or funding source requires that you provide a Social Security number, you should visit the Office of International Students and Scholars for assistance (you may be asked to provide a letter from the appropriate department indicating that you will be receiving funds).

Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)
International students experiencing financial emergencies or ongoing hardship can contact OISS for support and problem solving, as well as to discuss whether their situation poses a risk to their continued enrollment. Students should also visit OISS if they require a Social Security number for employment or funding purposes. Students can make an appointment with OISS staff by calling (805) 893-2929 or visiting the office on the 3rd floor of the Student Resource Building (next to the Pardall Tunnel).

Social Worker Support
If you are an international student struggling with financial, social, or other difficulties, you can speak with a social worker at no cost. UCSB social workers help to identify your needs, recommend available resources, and work with you on a plan of action. To schedule an appointment, call (805) 893-3087.