Skip to content

Housing and Shelter

In addition to looking into UCSB Housing and Residential Services options, students who need assistance with finding housing in the community can contact the Community Housing Office for one-on-one support. Students who are unable to pay rent due to a financial emergency are encouraged to visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (or call 805-893-2432) to see whether they are eligible for additional loans or a budget increase. Students can also explore the emergency funding options found in the “General Purpose Funding” section of this guide. Finally, students who are homeless or risk homelessness due to financial hardship are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a UCSB social worker at (805) 893-3087. If you need immediate assistance and are not able to meet with a social worker, contact the Dean of Students Office at (805) 893-4521 or (805) 893-4569.

AS/EOP Emergency Grants – Housing
These grants are available to UCSB Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) students currently receiving need-based financial aid who have exhausted other resources. These grants are issued only if there is a threat of eviction. Students must bring supporting documentation (eviction notice and a copy of the original rental contract). Student’s name must appear on the rental contract. Grants are for threat of eviction only and cannot be applied toward a deposit for the following year. Turnaround time: Usually 1-2 weeks. The deadline for submissions is every Thursday at 2 p.m. for review for the following week. Required documentation: A written statement describing the circumstances and the amount requested, to be addressed to the EOP director; application form (obtained from EOP counselor); original receipts for items that are being covered; photo ID. How to apply: Schedule an appointment to meet with an EOP counselor to discuss eligibility and details by calling (805) 893-4758. You do not need to have all of your documentation ready at the time of the appointment.

Community Housing Office (CHO)
Along with an up-to-date rental database, the Community Housing Office offers one-on-one advice and problem solving related to housing in the Isla Vista, Goleta, and Santa Barbara areas, as well as advice on renter’s rights and responsibilities, security deposits, leases, and more. Students can list themselves as potential roommates, get help finding housing that fits their budget, and receive advice when facing financial challenges that impact their rental situation (for example, an inability to pay rent resulting in a threat of eviction). In addition, CHO provides a move-in/move-out videotaping service to aid in the return of students’ deposits and facilitates mediation for students who find themselves in dispute with roommates or property providers. CHO is located on the 3rd floor of the University Center. For more information, visit, email, or call (805) 893-4371.

Emergency Shelters and Transitional Living
Students in need of emergency shelter are strongly encouraged to meet with a UCSB social worker to discuss their options by calling (805) 893-3087. If you have exhausted all your housing resources and cannot stay with friends or family, you can look into temporary solutions like the ones below. Additional resources can be found by calling the Santa Barbara County helpline (dial 211) or visiting If you are staying (or about to stay) in an emergency shelter, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at (805) 893-2432 as certain provisions in federal law may allow for changes to your financial aid records that would qualify you for additional federal student aid.

  • Domestic Violence Solutions for Santa Barbara County – Shelters and Crisis Line. Domestic Violence Solutions provides safe and confidential shelter for up to 45 days to women and children, as well as free counseling; food; clothing; goal planning assistance; advocacy for medical, legal, and financial resources; and referrals. Their 24-hour crisis line can be reached at (805) 964-5245 (Note: if you are in immediate danger, call 911). For more information about their services, call (805) 963-4458 or visit
  • Salvation Army Hospitality House. This is a full-service transitional living center for single men and women that allows for extended stays of up to one year (two for eligible veterans). Services are also available to non-residents and include sack lunches, shower and restroom facilities, hygiene kits, clothing vouchers, transportation assistance, an inclement weather shelter, and a public health nurse who is on site Monday and Wednesday mornings. Salvation Army Hospitality House is located at 423 Chapala Street in Santa Barbara. For more information, contact (805) 962-6281 or email
  • Santa Barbara Rescue Mission. This shelter provides daily hot meals and overnight accommodations for homeless men, women, and children. The center is located at 535 East Yanonali Street in Santa Barbara. For more information, call (805) 966-1316 or visit
  • Transition House. Transition house provides a residential and social service program for low-income homeless families. Services include case management, education and job development, financial management, after-school programs, and childcare for children from infancy to age two. Length of stay is contingent upon ability and willingness to pursue the agreed-upon transitional plan. Services for low-income families facing imminent eviction are also available. Transition House is located at 434 East Ortega Street in Santa Barbara. For more information, call (805) 730-3848 or visit

Isla Vista Tenants Union
The Isla Vista Tenants Union (IVTU) is an organization that serves the interests of Isla Vista tenants by educating them on their rights and responsibilities and acting as a resource when problems occur. In addition to contacting Community Housing Office (see previous page), students can call IVTU to obtain information if they are dealing with financial issues that impact their rental situation, including facing eviction due to non-payment or difficulties related to their security deposits. IVTU also maintains a tenant guide, which can be found at The IVTU is located in Isla Vista at 6550 Pardall Road, Unit B (above Grafikart). For more information, visit or call (805) 968-6704.

Social Worker Support
If you are homeless (couch surfing, living in a vehicle, etc.) or generally having difficulties paying for housing, you can speak with a UCSB social worker. UCSB social workers help to identify your needs, recommend available resources, and work with you on a plan of action. Unlike other services, social workers may be available to students after they have withdrawn from UCSB and can assist with the transition to community resources. To schedule an appointment, call (805) 893-3087.

University Housing and Payment Plans
Students in need of housing should contact the offices below to check availability. Any current resident of university-owned housing experiencing financial hardship may negotiate a reasonable payment plan by contacting the appropriate office below: